The Copper Penny

A man who possessed great riches
And well-known throughout the land,
Stooped to pick up a coin one day
And he clasped it in his hand.

It was just a copper penny.
Why would he bother that day
To stoop and reach into the dust
As he passed along his way?

I then asked him, "Is that penny
Of great value; is it rare?"
So the man held up the penny
And he then began to share.

He read the words, "In God we trust"
On this copper coin engraved;
And he said, "That makes it priceless
And so worthy to be saved.

"Without the Lord I would be lost
And so penniless I know.
God's proven as I trust in Him
His rich blessings He'll bestow.

"The copper penny in my hand
So reminds me of God's love.
Engraved with words 'In God we trust'
Keeps my mind focused above."

He placed the penny in my hand
And he said, "Here is the key
To blessings in this world below
And to true prosperity."

How rich am I this penny made;
Impoverished I'll ne'er be.
Engraved upon my heart inside:
"Oh, Lord, I will trust in Thee."

Copyrighted by Linda J. Stevenson.
For permission to use, please contact: Ljstevenson1@juno.com

FAMILY MUSIC RESOURCES: www.MaryRiceHopkins.com