I Thirst

In the scorching heat
Of life's adversities,
I thirst.
In the dry, mundane, common experiences
Of daily living,
I thirst.
My tongue is parched,
And my soul craves the pure water
That earthly springs
Can not satisfy.
As a waterless soul in the desert,
I yearn for a cup of Living Water,
Heavenly water that springs from the One
Who alone can satisfy my heart's longing.
Only this water can quench.
Only this water can eternally gratify
The parched craving of my barren soul.
I lift my empty vessel high
That the Living Water
May fill my cup to overflowing.
He sees my empty vessel
And lavishly pours Himself out
Till my cup runs over
And the barren desert in my soul
Burst forth in profuse bloom.
I drink the Living Water
And I thirst no more.

"Whosoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:14).


Copyrighted by Linda J. Stevenson.
For permission to use, please contact: Ljstevenson1@juno.com

FAMILY MUSIC RESOURCES: www.MaryRiceHopkins.com