SAFE AT HOME

Many times in life I’d swung the bat,
And each time the ball I’d miss.
Yet stubbornly I’d approach home plate;
In my strength I would persist.

One day Jesus said, “You need a coach.
If you’ll keep your eyes on Me,
I will tell you when to swing the bat;
Watch and listen carefully.”

“Tune out the world that around you stares,
Not mindful of what they think.
Just boldly stand, focus straight on Me,
And let not your courage shrink.”

So confidently, with bat upraised,
I stood poised and reassured
That a home run I would surely hit
As I trusted in His Word.

As the pitcher threw the speedy ball,
I heard Jesus say, “Now, Swing!”
And the ball connected with my bat
So that I could hear it sing.

Around the bases I swiftly ran,
As so jubilant my feet,
I then crossed each plate with rapid speed
Thus to make my lap complete.

I was safe at home by Christ alone;
In my strength I’d always failed.
And Heaven cheered as I crossed home plate;
By God’s grace I had prevailed.



Copyrighted by Linda J. Stevenson.
For permission to use, please contact: Ljstevenson1@juno.com

FAMILY MUSIC RESOURCES: www.MaryRiceHopkins.com